Celebrations on The Great Trail
Our big year is here!
2017 is shaping up to be an awesome year for all Canadians, and for everyone involved with Trans Canada Trail (TCT), this year is even more special, because it marks the realization of an amazing goal now 25 years in the making: the country-wide connection of The Great Trail. Since 1992, TCT — a not-for-profit organization — has been working with donors, partners, governments, landowners and volunteers to create an epic trail of trails offering a wide range of outdoor experiences on greenways, waterways and roadways.
TCT’s goal is to connect the Trail and the country for a grand celebration on August 26, 2017. We want you to celebrate the full connection of The Great Trail and Canada’s 150th on YOUR section of the Trail, and we’re going to help you throw an unforgettable party!
Here’s the plan:
We want to engage hundreds of trail groups and thousands of Canadians across the country to help us celebrate in one giant simultaneous happening! We want to share in your promotion of these events and then capture amazing moments on a multimedia platform published online.
Eligible Canadian Trail groups, partners or municipalities may apply for a grant from Trans Canada Trail to host a connection celebration on The Great Trail on August 26, 2017.
Who is eligible?
- Local trail organizations who either build, manage or operate sections of The Great Trail (groups who solely use the Trail will not be considered).
- Municipalities that either build, manage or operate sections of The Great Trail (municipalities that border the Trail but have no responsibility for their section of The Great Trail will not be considered).
- Groups on the main spine and groups on the spur trails linking to The Great Trail are considered eligible to apply.
Community groups and other associations are welcome to work with qualified applicants to make a submission to Trans Canada Trail. In this case, the qualified applicant would submit the application on behalf of the collaborating partners.
Trans Canada Trail will support event grant requests in the amount of $1,500. Please note that funds are limited and TCT cannot guarantee that all funding requests will be granted.
Applications will be accepted from April 3 – April 28, 2017
When will I know the status of my application?
Application review period and approval of funds: May 1 – 26, 2017
Trans Canada Trail will supply each successful applicant with supporting marketing collateral and event toolkit.
Please note that the following applications are ineligible:
- Any events involving political, legislative or lobbying activities
- Marketing sponsorships or advertising projects
- Family reunions or individuals
- Any activity taking place outside Canada
Is my project eligible for funding?
Trail event celebrations can vary in scope and range, as outlined by the eligibility criteria below.
- Eligible projects must be based in Canada, and must be connected to The Great Trail in celebration of Canada’s 150th anniversary of Confederation on August 26, 2017:
PLAN community events and activities on The Great Trail in your area
ENGAGE all ages in an opportunity to explore Canada’s diverse landscape and rich history connecting people with our natural spaces;
PROMOTE the importance of The Great Trail.
- Eligible events/celebrations must commit to engaging in funded activities on August 26, 2017, for a simultaneous Canada-wide celebration.
- Eligible applicants are asked to participate in a Canada-wide multi-media collaboration by uploading event photos to a designated site.
Download the complete guidelines for details on how to apply, eligible expenditures, assessment criteria and more HERE.